This is one of our Classic and Supercar show special features which will be on display on the forecourt of Sherborne Castle.
The Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost that forms part of the collection at the National Motor Museum was built in 1909 as chassis no. 939 and was supplied new to a Colonel Ferguson of Boughty Ferry, Dundee.
Apparently it was originally fitted with a seven seat touring body by Hooper and was a deep claret colour. Colonel Ferguson died in 1923 and the car ended up at John Morris, a Dundee Rolls-Royce agent. An extensive rebuild followed and in 1924 the chassis was fitted with a hearse body made by Craigie & Mitchell. It was painted dark royal blue and black.
The hearse body was removed in 1930 and the suspension strengthened to take a Mann Egerton crane and drop side body. Again it was painted blue. John Morris used the car until 1952 when the firm was sold. The lifting gear was removed and the vehicle went to Reston Manor Garage of Reston, Berwickshire where it remained until 1954 when it was ‘re-discovered’. Lord Montagu acquired for display at Beaulieu and the current Barker style Roi des Belges body was fitted in 1961, built by Leslie Willis.